Self Care: 10 DIY Tips and Tricks to Embody Wellness
Stress increases the production of insulin and cortisol, two hormones infamous for promoting the accumulation of belly fat. Stress also causes chronic inflammation. “Stress makes you fat. Relaxation makes you thin,” stated Dr. Mark Hyman in “10-Day Detox Diet.”
We encourage you to make a habit of daily self-care. Even just 30 seconds a day of deep breathing has been shown to have incredible benefits for your health and happiness. A little self-love and chill time will go a long way towards cleansing your body, easing your mind and looking fabulous.
Here are some of our top tips for at home DIY self-care to fully embody wellness!
- Yoga and Meditation: This is our daily retreat into ourselves. Even if we only have 5 minutes to stretch and sit in silence, we still benefit. It helps get us out of our heads and into our heart space. Also, yoga releases stored emotions, great for your adrenals and helps you detox (think twisted postures!). Yogaglow.com helps us not have any excuses to get on our mat with guided meditation and yoga for any duration of time in the comfort of your own home. Get connected to your flow and quiet the chatter.
- Take a bath in epsom salts! Epsom salts pull toxins from your body and relax your nervous system. Soaking in a bath with 2 cups of salts plus ½ cup of baking soda (and 8-10 drops of lavender oil) will help cleanse your body, relax your muscles and ease your mind.
- Tea, Nightly Tonics and Adaptogens: We adore tea for our mind, body and spirit. A chance to pause from the craziness. Rose tea for a gorgeous skin glow. At bedtime, lavender and chamomile blend is our go-to. Try nightly tonics to nourish yourself: turmeric almond milk or cocao and turmeric “hot chocolate.” A soothing and anti-inflammatory treat. We also incorporate adaptogens into our smoothies and teas, like Ashwagandha and Reishi Mushrooms, to calm and nourish our adrenals and nervous system and keep us balanced.
- Pursue YOUR Creativity: Whatever ignites your spark–a hobby, a new book, learning something you are passionate about, drawing/art, cooking, music, etc. DO IT. Even 5 minutes will help you turn off your chatter and grow.
- Relax and reset with essential oils. We are obsessed with doTerra’s medical grade essential oils. We use them as cleaning products, tonics, scents and for relaxation and aromatherapy. To slow down and chill out, try adding a few drops of lavender oil to your bath, diffuser or even on your wrists or feet. Blend “serenity” or “balance” with fractionated coconut oil and use a few drops on your temples or pillow. These oils promote whole-body relaxation, feelings of tranquillity and balance and a restful sleep. We use them on ourselves and even to help our kids relax into nap or bedtime or for long car rides! Need a pick me up? Try doTerra’s Elevation Blend or Wild Orange!
- Try dry body brushing! Just try it! Body brushing helps release toxins and assists in lymphatic drainage. This encourages the body’s elimination of metabolic wastes leaving you more energetic, detoxified and unclogged. Dry brushing also gives you smoother and brighter skin by helping to shed dead skin cells, eliminating clogged pores and encouraging new cell growth! And if you weren’t sold already, read this: by increasing circulation to your skin, dry brushing may actually reduce the appearance of cellulite! Wow! It even helps with muscle tone and gives you a more even distribution of fat deposits. Experiment with dry body brushing before your shower or bath. Work the brush over dry skin in gentle, circular, upward motions. Slowly transition to longer, smoother strokes. Begin at your ankles and continue in upward movements towards your heart, following the flow of lymphatic fluid through the body. For your back, start at the nape of your neck and work downwards. (Find our favorite dry body brush in the EMBODY Wellness Boutique and get yours today!)
- Detox your face! Try this DIY mask inspired by Adina Grigore: Mash 1-2 tbsp cooked chickpeas with 1-2 tbsp water (or use chickpea flour) until a paste is formed. Add a dash or two of turmeric until the paste becomes a yellowish color. Smother your face in this detoxifying concoction and allow it to dry before rinsing off and moisturizing. Chickpeas actually extract harmful toxins from your skin, help neutralize free radicals and reverse signs of sun damage. Who knew?! Turmeric reduces inflammation and helps to heal scars. It also regulates your skin’s oil production. While you are mixing chickpeas and turmeric… throw some extras on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven at 350 for 20 mins until golden and crispy making a great snack to heal your insides too!
- Sweat! Sweat releases toxins. We all have a buildup of toxins in our bodies from the foods we eat, the environment, pollution and stress. Try hot yoga, jogging, sitting in a sauna, reading on the beach. Whatever makes you sweat!
- Bedtime Journal: Let all your thoughts from the day flow onto paper to release them. We love to keep a gratitude journal and end our night with what we are thankful for, sending positive energy subconsciously for a restful sleep.
- Create a Sleep Ritual: Even if you just commit to going to bed 30 minutes before your normal bedtime, that may make a huge impact on your mood and overall well-being. We like to tune out right before bed. No devices/screens, turn our himalyian salt lamp on for the purification and practice at least one of the above to energetically show up for ourselves, slow down and to end the day with self-love.
Test out any of our top tips and be on your way to EMBODY Wellness and EMBODY Your Best Self. To read more about cleansing from the inside out, check out our 6 Simple and Easy Daily Detox Tips to Supercharge Your Body!
Christine Beal Dunst and Stephanie Rapp are co-founders of Embody Wellness Company, your health and lifestyle concierge, specializing in creating customizable holistic wellness and nutrition programs targeted to accomplish your goals in a lasting way. For more information, visit EmbodyWellnessCompany.com and sign up for their monthly newsletter.